Saturday, 3 September 2011
King R&B All-Stars
1. Tell The Truth - The 5 Royales
2. I'll Go Crazy - James Brown & his Famous Flames
3. Driving Sideways - Freddy King
4. Don't Throw Your Love On Me So Strong - Albert King
5. Over The Rainbow - The Checkers
6. Cherry Wine - Little Esther
1. I'm Tore Up - Billy Gayles
2. Goofy Dust Blues - Little Willie Littlefield
3. Tonk Game - Hank Marr
4. It Won't Be This Way Always - The King Pins
5. Teardrops On Your Letter - Hank Ballard & The Midnighters
6. Need Your Love So Bad - Little Willie John
I hope this will be the first in a series of "R&B All-Stars" posts which will present short label based compilations of 1940s and 1950s rhythm and blues sides. As I believe in the old adage that "less is more", these compilations will be presented as 12 track LPs complete with front and back covers. The tracks may be few in number but I like to think that "all killer, no filler" is an apt description for these mythical 12 inchers. Every selection is a gem, says I, chosen from well-worn vinyl.
The LP covers will be based on scans of original 78 rpm and 45 rpm record sleeves supplied by Joan K and El Enmascarado. The idea for these covers originated with our photoshopper "Brian with a B" although the covers on this post are by myself, so all complaints should be directed to me!
"King R&B All-Stars" is a mix of mainly mid to late 1950s sides, most of which were originally released on Federal, a subsidiary label of King. Soul fans should be pleased by the impassioned gospel-style pleading on the sides by James Brown, The 5 Royales and The King Pins. Hank Ballard and Little Willie John get deep down in the two classic weepers "Teardrops On Your Letter" and "Need Your Love So Bad" and there's some raunchy blues guitar on the tracks by Freddy King, Albert King and Billy Gayles (with the Ike Turner band).
Ripped from vinyl at 320 kbps.
Download from here: