Great King / Federal comp of 1950s chantoozie sides featuring some stompers and some tear stained ballads. All backed by some of the greatest jump and jazz bands of the time, including the Johnny Otis band (anonymously), Earl Bostic, Hot Lips Page, Bill Doggett, Jimmy Coe, Buddy Banks, Lucky Millinder, Roy Milton and Sonny Thompson.
1. Dorothy Ellis - He's Gone
2. Lil Greenwood - Grandpa Can Boogie Too
3. Earl Bostic & His Orchestra - Portrait Of A Faded Love
4. Duke Hampton & His Orchestra - Please Be Good To Me
5. Fluffy Hunter - Climb The Wall
6. Roy Milton & His Orchestra - You're Gonna Suffer Baby
7. Sarah McLawler - I Need You Now
8. Gene Redd & His Orchestra - I Dreamed The Blues
1. Bill Doggett Trio - No More In Life
2. Marion Abernathy - Undecided
3. Flo Garvin - I'm On The Outside Looking In
4. Flo Garvin - Let Me Keep You Warm
5. Lorraine Lester - You Can't Have Me Now
6. Lucky Millinder & His Orchestra - It's A Sad, Sad Feeling
7. Dorothy Ellis - Slowly Going Out Of My Mind
8. Sugar Pie - Please Be True
Original post (August 2008) here:
Superb compilation of sides recorded by Basie tenor sax player Buddy Tate for LA indie label Supreme in December 1947. Small group swing, blues and jump with Jimmy Witherspoon on board for a couple of vocal outings.
1. Tate's A Jumpin' (Take 4)
2. Blue And Sentimental
3. Vine Street Breakdown (Take 4)
4. Ballin' From Day To Day
5. Six Foot Two Blues
6. Kansas City Local (Take 3)
1. Kansas City Local (Take 5)
2. The Things You Done For Me Baby
3. Vine Street Breakdown (Take 1)
4. Early Morning Blues
5. Good Morning Judge
6. Tate's A Jumpin' (Take 2)
Original post (March 2008) here:
Rock and roll sides from the Plas, recorded for Capitol in 1957. LP donated by Big Al (the bloggers' pal!) back in 2010. This comp is quite different from the other 2 re-ups on this post, being a mix of novelty, space age pop, jazz noir, burlesque and general 50s instro mood music.
1. Hoppin' Mad
2. Blow Your Blues Away
5. The Loop
6. Swanee River Rock
7. The Big Twist
1. Little Rockin' Deacon
2. You Send Me
3. Robin's Nest Cha Cha
4. Plas Jazz
5. Come Rain or Come Shine
7. Everyone Knows
Original and very informative post (from June 2010) here:
Zippyshare links will expire if files aren't downloaded during a period of 30 days. I'm afraid that I failed to check my zippyshare account for several months and we have therefore lost some of the early Joan Selects comps. I'll try to get these back up again.
The last year and a half has been a struggle on the blog with firstly all rapidshare download links going down the tubes and then the divshare streaming audio service imploding. My advice is to download or listen while you can, for the opportunity to access the riches of Be Bop Wino may be fleeting. And that's a metaphor for life in general. Here endeth the lesson for tonight.
Coming soon - new stuff! Including a crackly Crown LP sent in by El Enmascarado and an 80s comp of the greatest drunken vocal group of all time. Stay salty!