Be Bop Wino Pages

Joan Selects - the complete Joan Selects Collection

Big Ten Inchers - 78rpm rips by El Enmascarado


Attention Mac Users!

Mac users have been experiencing problems in unpacking the WinRAR archives used on this blog. Two solutions have been suggested.

1. Use The Unarchiver - www.theunarchiver.com - see comments on Little Esther Bad Baad Girl post for details.

2. Use Keka - http://www.kekaosx.com/en/ - see comments on Johnny Otis Presents post.

Wednesday 19 November 2008

Joan Selects, Volume 6 – More Girls … Girls … Girls … Girls

The vocal group series to end them all continues with a mammoth 33 track selection of songs dedicated to the girls (again). I know I keep declaring that each volume of Joan’s magnum opus is the best one yet, so I’ll content myself with declaring that this selection is mighty fine. I never used to consider myself a doowop fan, but Joan’s series has converted me. I always associated “doowop” with soppy teen ballads but once again Joan has brought together a whole range of vocal group styles, from the dreamy romantic stuff to the jumpers and jivers featuring blasting tenor sax. I won’t attempt to list any highlights this time as every record here is a standout. I couldn’t help but notice that Sindy seems to have struck up a friendship with both The Cobras and The Squires. That gal gets around.

Joan has included a folder of label shots from which a selection is on display below. Thank for your hard work and dedication to reviving so many long forgotten discs Joan.

Ripped from original 45s. Bitrates vary. Password = greaseyspoon.

Download from here:

http://www5.zippyshare.com/v/V1bJnQny/file.html

01) - The Rainbows - Mary Lee - Red Robin 133
02) - The Paragons - Florence - Winley 215
03) - The Supremes - Margie - Kitten 6969
04) - The Belltones - Estelle - Grand 102
05) - The Travelers (Feat Frank Lopez) - Lenora - Atlas 1086
06) - The Cobras - Sindy - Modern 964
07) - The Love-Letters - Owee-Nellie - Acme 714
08) - The Pelicans - Aurelia - Parrot 793
09) - The Harmonaires - Lorraine - Holiday 2602
10) - The Starliters - Arline - Combo 73
11) - The Parakeets - Yvonne - Atlas 1069
12) - The Diamonds - Cherry - Atlantic 1017
13) - The Prodigals - Judy - Falcon 1011
14) - The Sheppards - Mozelle - United 198
15) - The Native Boys - Cherrlyn - Combo 113
16) - The Ambassadors - Willa Bea - Timely 1001
17) - The Inspirations - Maggie - Apollo 484
18) - The Love Notes - Sweet Lulu - Riviera 970
19) - The Dreamers - Melba - Rollin' 5
20) - The Cherokees - Brenda - Grand
21) - The Squires aka Blue Jays - Sindy - Mambo 105
22) - The Arrows - Annie Mae - Flash 132
23) - The Five Thrills - Gloria - Parrot 800
24) - Ray Frazier & The Blenders - Emmy Lou -
25) - The Dubs - Connie - Johnson 097
26) - Lewis Lymon & The Teenchords - Lydia - Fury 1000
27) - The Unique Teens - Jeannie - Ivy 112
28) - The Four Tunes - Marie - Jubilee 5128
29) - The Four Buddies - Delores - Club 51 - 105
30) - The Earls - Laverne -
31) - The Kidds - Oh Louise - Tee Vee 301
32) - The Youngtones - Patricia - X-Tra 110
33) - Rusty Lane & The Mystics - Karen - Laurie 3031

5 comments:

bombshelter slim said...

maybe the best yet!! but track 2 has a fair amount of dead space at the end of the file...(a bummer if one burns this collection on to CD, the last 2 tracks won't fit as a result...I know, I know, old school...)

boogiewoody said...

Hi Bombshelter
I always upload any album/collection I post to my Windows Media Player Library, and when I played this selection on WMP the dead space didn't show up - and that's with crossfade turned off. The 33 tracks might just be a bit too much to burn to CD. Anyway you call yourself "old school" 'cause you burn CDs? I'll have you know that some of us still can't cope with the change from 78rpm to 45rpm and 33 1/3rpm! (OK ... I exaggerate)

I agree ... volume 6 may well be the best yet. I can't say why specifically .. it's just the mood of the whole comp. And therein lies the art of the compilation.

Anonymous said...

firstly, kudos to joan on yet another fine collection of tracks. very well done as always. as for the "dead" space, i use realplayer and had about a second and a half between the end of "florence"(paragons, track two) and the beginning of "margie"(supremes, track three). it is too long for a cd, though having this music is what it's really all about. thanks again,

bantam

Anonymous said...

These ARE awesome collections!! Thanks so much!!
xulio

Siggy said...

many tanx! Had to wait some time between my first two RapisShare DLs, and this one, my third. I don't know why, perhaps RS is preventing me from too much access? I would try and link and just kept getting a "Connecting" msg, but would not connect.

More tsnx for these wonderful collections.